Sunday, August 29, 2010

Kona Cloud Coffee Medium Roast Review


This was to be my first experience of 100% Hawaiian Kona so when I was told some was being sent for my review I was excited to receive it. While waiting for my shipment to arrive from FedEx I did a little background research on Kona Cloud Coffee Estates and found that it’s a company born out of a passion and love for both Hawaii and coffee by owner James Ameika.

Kona Cloud started by finding a plot of land in Kona and planting coffee trees in 1997 and had its first harvest in 2000. Their business plan is to grow their Kona beans in Hawaii and then ship those green beans to their roasting facility in Jonesboro Arkansas. This keeps their costs down and provides us with freshly roasted 100% Hawaiian Kona stateside.

Once I received the coffee I first noticed it was packaged in the best zip-loc degassing valve bag for freshness. The beans were beautiful and opening the bag I was enveloped with an amazing aroma.

I decided I wanted to try this Medium Roast as three different brewing methods. First in the Yama Vacuum Brewer, secondly in the Clever Coffee Dripper and finally as a shot of espresso. Each method I was met with success. The medium roast is still a bold cup of coffee and I was pleased with the chocolate notes that came through while maintaining a fruity undertone. The sweet body of this brew was a remarkable experience to say the least. Both the vac pot and full immersion brew techniques delivered a beautiful extraction from these beans. I was also very impressed with the crema I got when I tried it as a shot of espresso.

Although I could tell these beans were fresh from the bloom I got when making my brew, I wish Kona Cloud would roast date their bags so people know just how fresh it is. Kona Cloud Medium Roast is available for $12.50 a half pound. If you’re looking to try some Kona, give this family run business a try. The love they put into these beans is very evident!

No comments:

Post a Comment